Two of my awesome running tweeps – Amy at http://runlikeabird.blogspot.ca/ and Jeremy over at http://confessionsofanamateurathlete.blogspot.ca/ have nominated me for a Liebster Award. What is a Liebster Award, you may ask? The Liebster Award was created to help bloggers promote and encourage their readers to discover other new and related blogs and bloggers. So thanks very much to Amy and Jeremy for nominating me!
The Liebster Award has several rules that need to be followed in order to perpetuate its awesomeness:
1. Thank the blogger who presented the award and link back to their blog (done!).
2. Answer the 10 questions the blogger asked of you
3 .Nominate 10 different bloggers.
4. Ask 10 different questions to the nominees.
So, without further ado…
1. Do you have a tattoo? If so, is it visible when you run?
I have three tattoos! In warmer months, all are visible as I have one on each calf and one on my left forearm. Only one of my tattoos is running related – a stylized shoe of Hermes which I got after my first marathon in October 2013.
2. What’s your favorite during/post-run hydration?
During a run I am partial to water and I am also getting pretty fond of Nuun (orange flavoured). After a run, I really like a glass of chocolate milk.
3. If you could tell every runner this one safety tip, it would be…
Always make eye contact with drivers and try to get them to wave or nod (something to acknowledge that they have seen you).
4. What’s the funniest thing that has happened to you while on a run?
Running with a friend and swallowed a bug. While I was coughing and explaining to them what had happened, I swallowed another bug. Yum!
5. Do you jump out of bed ready for your long runs, or is it more of a process?
I’m a creature of habit, so it’s a process but a deliberate one. I believe in being properly fueled so I have a pretty good breakfast at least an hour and a half before my long runs.
6. What was the biggest nutrition mistake you made before a run?
Probably the biggest mistake I’ve made was not eating enough before or during a long run. Bonking sucks, even in training.
7 .Do you want some chocolate right now?
If you’re offering. Although, it’s almost Easter, so I think I have some around here somewhere….
8. Do you have other places you’d like people to check out you (ie: Instragram, Facebook, Twitter)?
I’m definitely a BIG fan of Twitter (@BTBogtrotters). There is a Bagtown Bogtrotters Facebook group which I’m trying to grow and get more people running locally. I haven’t tried Instagram yet, but it’s on my to-do list.
9. If you aren’t running on a sunny day, what’re you up to?
I’m probably walking or hiking at the very least. Definitely spending time with my family. And probably hanging laundry.
10. What’s the last AWESOME book you read?
I feel like it’s a running cliché at this point, but I recently read Born to Run and it was incredible! I think it definitely played some part in me signing up for my first ultra this summer.
1. Tell us what your blog is about!
My blog is heavily weighted towards running. Mainly it’s about training and my own personal perspective on things running related. Occasionally I do tie it in to mental health as well, as running has been vital in dealing with my own depression.
2. What made you want to start blogging?
I’ve always enjoyed writing and find it another way to participate in the running community. It’s just great to get feedback from my other runners and have some interesting dialogues.
3. What’s your favorite way to stay active?
Running – by far!
4. If you could have dinner with ONE person (dead or alive) who would it be and why?
My wife. We are just perfectly matched and just love hanging out together. Plus, I wouldn’t be too self-conscious of my table manners.
5. Waffles or Pancakes? Favorite topping?
Waffles. And maple syrup. I’m Canadian, eh?
6. One guilty pleasure of yours after a tough workout/run.
I’m actually less likely to have guilty pleasures after a tough run. I hate the idea of self-sabotaging hard work. I do treat myself to a chocolate bar once or twice a week.
7. What’s one fitness activity you haven’t tried, or don’t do often, that you’d like to try?
I’d love to learn how to swim. It’s not just a great life skill to have, but it’s a great way to cross train. Or so I’m told.
8. If you could only eat ONE thing for the rest of your life… what would it be?
It’s a toss-up, so I’m picking two. Turkey a la king, which my mom taught me to make. So unhealthy, but soooo good. And guacamole. Love the guac!
9. Describe your dream vacation.
Honestly, every time my wife and I go on a big adventure with our sons, it’s the best. So whatever vacation is next with them is my dream vacation. That being said, we are planning our second trip to Universal Orlando next March and it should be pretty awesome. We are such Harry Potter geeks!
10. Link to your favorite blog post!
My 10 Nominees are:
Jo at A Non-Runner’s Adventure in Running http://runningonthehush.wordpress.com/
Bridget at Run to the Pils http://runtothepils.wordpress.com/
Michelle at Michelle the Runner http://www.michelletherunner.com/
Mike at Fit Friend Runs http://fitfriendruns.tumblr.com/
Annabelle at Fluency’s Folly http://fluencysfolly.com/
Patrick at The Courage of Lungs http://www.thecourageoflungs.com/
East Coast Running at http://eastcoastrunning.wordpress.com/
Christa at Runnin’ On Empties http://runninonempties.blogspot.ca/
Molly at A Fresh Start for Molly http://afreshstartformolly.wordpress.com/
Becky at Run Becky Run http://runbeckyrun.wordpress.com/
My 10 Questions are;
1) Given that the granddaddy of them all, Boston, is in a few days – have you ever run Boston? If so, when? If not, is it on your bucket list?
2) What other races are on you bucket list?
3) What is your number one running goal for 2014?
4) What is your least favourite question people ask when they find out that you are a runner?
5) What is your favourite distance to race?
6) What is your least favourite distance to race?
7) What’s your favourite running workout?
8) What’s the coolest place running has taken you?
9) If you could pick one person to run with, who would it be?
10) Who inspires you?